Information about my work as a Labour Councillor for East Finchley in the London Borough of Barnet

Monday 3 September 2012

Corby

I went to Corby on saturday to help Labour's Andy Sawford in the by election there. I do think there is a significant challenge for us to win the seat, because about a third of it, and the high turnout third, is rural, and really havent voted Labour till now, but seemed more positive now.

But there is real anger against Louise Mensch, the resigned MP. I personally understand why she resigned, and have some sympathy for it, but residents didn't, they seemed to feel she was there to put it on the CV, and never really cared about the constituency. I think that's harsh, but she knew what she was getting into when she stood, and it's disappointing for residents there that the Tory party out so much effort into winning the seat, and her candidacy was longer than her representation.

I noted that Andy's campaign literatures biggest promise has been to not treat the constituency like that, and it seems to be going down well. Andy is a hard worker and looks fit for the job. It also helps that the Tory candidate thinks the seat is in Hampshire!

I had a good day out, and hope to go back.