Information about my work as a Labour Councillor for East Finchley in the London Borough of Barnet

Wednesday 9 January 2013

Librarians

Barnet staff are going through some difficult times right now, and morale isn't good. So I was sad to hear on my first surgery back in 2013 in the library that staff were not being given much time to prepare for some competency based tests.

I have submitted written questions to council about this to ascertain what these tests were about. I don't think it was felt that enough time has been given in preparation. I know that feeling, having only been given a week with the NSCSO papers before scrutiny.

There is a major restructuring going on, as budgets are being squeezed. This is not the friendliest way of saying goodbye to staff, and I hope we can clear the picture.After the "omnishambles" with the landmark library in the Arts Depot, and Friern Barnet having been in disarray for 6 months, some basic competency is needed in the political leadership of libraries.

I have a special affection for the helpful and hard working staff at East Finchley Library, and I hope more effort is made in the future to make sure all staff are valued.